Document Your Environment Contest Rules:
1. The subject of all entries MUST be from the collections or holdings of the National Archives and Records Administration. Subjects must be from our Documerica collection. Photos can be found in our online catalog or in the Flickr Commons.
2. To ensure the photo you selected is from the National Archives’ holding, each entry must have a National Archives Identifier or Local Identifier included in the title or description.
3. By submitting your entry to the Document Your Environment Contest and clicking the check box that you agree to the official rules, you agree that the submission of an entry shall constitute the grant of a non-exclusive, royalty free license to the National Archives and Records Administration to reproduce and utilize the photograph submitted for any governmental purpose, including but not limited to publication on the Internet and/or use as part of interpretive publications. Entrants further grant to NARA the right to use and publish their proper name and state online and in print, or any other media, in connection with the Contest. By entering, participants thereby release and hold harmless the United States of America, its employees and agents from any and all liability for any injuries, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with the Contest or any prize won. Restrictions, conditions, and limitations apply.
4. Each participant may enter 1 (ONE) entry per category (Graphical Art, Video, Poetry).
5. NARA reserves the right to not award a prize in any category at its sole discretion.
6. All submissions must be your own work and you must own the right to distribute the image, video, or poem.
7. Submissions entered in the Document Your Environment Contest may not have been entered in previous contests.
8. Entries may be submitted as a group, but one person must be designated as the point of contact. If a group entry is chosen as a finalist or winner, only the designated prize will be awarded (no additional prizes will be given to each individual group member). All group members must also be eligible in the same age category, and all entries in the under 18 age categories must submit parental consent forms for each contributing group member.
9. Entrants under 18 years of age must submit a signed parental consent form. Forms can be submitted with the contest submission on Challenge.gov (as a PDF or Word doc file) or can be emailed to email@example.com.
10. All entrants in the 18+ student age group will be required to provide enrollment verification from their school, college, or university upon notification of being selected as a finalist. Entrants must be enrolled in school at the time of the contest launch (November 1, 2011).
11. You must have the consent of those whose faces are visible in the image. If your photo is selected, you will be required to provide a release for each individual in the photograph.
12. The Competition is subject to all applicable federal laws and regulations. Participation constitutes Contestant's full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Competition. Elegibility for a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herin. The Competition is subject to all applicable federal laws and regulations.
13. By participating in this contest, you agree to the terms of these rules.
How will the winners be chosen?
Top entrants in each category will be determined by the members of the Digital Strategies and Services Staff at the National Archives. Finalists will be determined by an industry leading expert for each category (Graphical Art, Video, Poetry). A grand prize winner will be chosen from the nine finalists by the Archivist of the United States, and will be announced on challenge.gov, archives.gov, and the NARAtions blog. NARA retains the sole discretion over the selection of, and decision not to select, any particular entry as a winner.
What if my submission is selected?
- You will be contacted by February 3, 2012 by the National Archives and Records Administration. You will be required to respond to NARA via email within 3 days or an alternate winner will be selected.
- NARA will send you an official entry form to be signed by you or a legal guardian for entrants under the age of 18. You must email or fax the signed entry form to NARA within 3 days or an alternate winner will be selected.
- NARA may require a higher quality resolution version of a finalist’s submission. If one of suitable resolution for print is not available, an alternate winner may be selected.
- If a prize is awarded to the winner, all taxes, fees, and surcharges on any prizes are the sole responsibility of the prize winner.
Contact the National Archives and Records Administration Social Media team at firstname.lastname@example.org (include Document Your Environment Contest in subject).